Friday, March 4, 2011

Symbiosis.

To the uninitiated, it may seem like a strange thing to load your babies into a stroller and propel them down the street while you run behind. I've had my fair share of funny looks from people as I've thanked them for making way on the sidewalks, but I've also had plenty of folks offer wide smiles and words of encouragement as I've run past. 


There are days when one or both of my girls is squealing and/or crying as I run along and I often wonder if people will hear them and think I'm being selfish; forcing them to sit in the stroller while I run. Believe me, when Haven is wailing in earnest and I'm nowhere close to home, I wonder this myself. But I know something other people don't know: my running is my stress release and I firmly believe that it helps me be the best Mom I can be. If I don't run, I'm not happy and if I'm not happy, my window of patience just gets smaller. For me, motherhood and running is a symbiotic relationship.


And beyond that, I know that Sonja loves getting out and seeing the world go by as I run. Haven is younger and is still getting used to being in the running stroller, but she's a bright and observant sort and she loves being outside. She also takes fresh-air naps during our runs and I often think how nice that must be: getting pushed around while you're snuggled under a blanket, asleep with the cool air all around you.


Today Cristal and I ran with the kids through Beacon Hill park, along the pathways of the Dallas Road dog park and back up Moss Street. Perfect weather: overcast, not too cold, not too windy. We did intervals of five minutes running, one minute walking and ran a total of about thirty-seven minutes. It was just a great run.


Settling the mind, giving the body what it needs and wants, fresh air, chatting with a friend while the kids sleep or just check out the scenery. Yep, being a Running Mom is pretty fantastic.



1 comment: