Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Sick kids, injured runners.

I was the only Mom who showed up for the run this morning, although I know that there were a couple Moms who wish they could have been there. Normally I would have gone out on my own with the girls in the Chariot, but I opted out. Haven is on antibiotics, still getting over her ear infection, and Sonja has had a horrible cough with a fever that keeps coming back. So instead of making them sit in the stroller while I got to run (even though they would have been toasty warm and would likely have had a nap), I decided to head home. Sometimes it's important to remember that things are not about you.


On another note, my husband Peter is heading home today and you can bet I'm going to get a solo run in very soon... I'm going a little batty!


I do have a bit of an update on the lovely Cristal. I thought she had Runner's Knee. Looks like I couldn't have been more wrong. The day after the last run, she emailed me to say that she had not slept at all the night before due to the pain. I was so alarmed by that and I've felt guilty ever since that I didn't send her straight back home when she told me her knee was hurting. Lesson learned. 


She's seen a couple doctors, one told her she had cartilage floating around in her knee (!) and the other said it was a problem with the ligaments. One of them also told her she should never run again, since it appeared she wasn't meant to be a runner. I restrained myself from asking the doctor's name so that I could go tell them what I think of their diagnosis and suggestion. 


Cristal was told to wait three weeks to see if there was any improvement before they would order an x-ray and then told to use crutches. Yeah right, crutches while caring for a seven-month-old baby. Needless to say, that lasted about five minutes.


Ever the giver of advice (when will I learn? I really do mean well), I said she should go back and ask to have the x-ray done ASAP, since it's unrealistic to use crutches while being a mom to a small baby, so the chances of improvement are not great. I personally think the x-ray should have been ordered right away, given the amount of pain she has suffered. And in all likelihood, something like an MRI will be more useful, but I know waiting lists are huge. My other suggestion was to request a referral to see a physiotherapist, since I put more stock in their ability to help Cristal in the long run. 


Sigh. I miss Cristal's infectious energy and enthusiasm about running, so much so that I phoned her this morning to get an update (I'm a Nosy Parker, but I'm a caring Nosy Parker) and to tell her that I miss her. I just hope that she gets some answers soon and gets on the road to recovery so that we can run together again soon.


I don't have any new clinic photos, but since I can never post without a pic, here's another one me and the girls (ho-hum). 







3 comments:

  1. so sorry... but at least the girls got a bit of a break too...
    (Christy)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Poor Cristal. Just so you both know, though, she doesn't need a doctor's referral to see a physio! It's way easier than that! We are primary care practitioners which means she can just walk in the door or call in and make an appointment! Hope she gets some answers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is so great. I will tell her that. ...I knew that, I just forgot. :)

    ReplyDelete