Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Turning point.

I'm fairly sure this is going to be the best Half Marathon ever. Or at least I will have enjoyed the training more than any other Half Marathon training I have ever done. Don't get me wrong, I have trained in several different clinics with some of the finest folks you'll ever meet, but I have to say that this Running Moms group is just awesome.


Our long runs are getting longer. July 17th's run was 16.3 km and we completed it in exactly one hour and forty-five minutes in spectacular running weather. Although this hasn't been the hottest summer here on the coast, the weather has been especially conducive to long runs! This week was a recovery week, so our workout was less intense and our long run on July 24th was one hour. It was just Cristal and I (and our girls), so we ran the TC 10K course in just under the sixty minutes. Basically, we rock.


Cristal, Christy, Brenda and I also had a lovely run Friday, July 22nd. We meandered into James Bay and back and it was especially great to have Christy's daughter Elise along. We haven't seen her in so long and she's just as cute as ever. 


Now that the recovery week is over, we start full-tilt into another three-week building phase. This week's workout is going to be fairly intense, incorporating several rounds of timed sprints and Sunday's long run is back up to one hour and forty-five minutes. I will also be adding pick-ups (tempo portions) to all of our long runs from here on out. This Sunday will be two ten-minute pick-ups with a five-minute jog between sets. Yes, this is the point in the clinic when you look back to the first week and think, "Wow, I can't believe how far we've come!" 


Just wait, it gets better. :)



No comments:

Post a Comment